Associate Dean of Health, Professor
335 Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706
Dr. Hoyt received his PhD from Virginia Commonwealth University in 1995, and came to Wisconsin in 1999. He has been Department Chair since September, 2014.
- PhD Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1995
- MS Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1992
- AB Philosophy, Princeton University, 1981
- Plante, D., & Hoyt, W. T. (2017). Outcomes of positive airway pressure for sleep apnea. Journal of the American Medical Association, 318(20), 2042.
- Byars-Winston, A., Diestelmann, J., Savoy, J. N., & Hoyt, W. T. (2017). Unique effects and moderators of effects of sources on self-efficacy: A model-based meta-analysis. , 64, 645-658.
- Ramirez Stege, A. M., Brockberg, D., & Hoyt, W. T. (2017). Advocating for advocacy: A survey on student advocacy skills and training in counseling psychology. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 11, 190-197.
- Turan, N., & Hoyt, W. T. (2016). Gender, attachment orientation, rumination, and symptomatic distress: Test of a moderated mediation model. Personality and Individual Differences, 102, 234-239.
- Sun, S., Hoyt, W. T., Brockberg, D., Lam, J., & Tiwari, D. (2016). Acculturation and enculturation as predictors of help-seeking attitudes (HSAs) among racial and ethnic minorities: A meta-analytic investigation. Joutnal of Counseling Psychology, 63, 617-632. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Goldberg, S. B., Babins-Wagner, R., Rousmanier, T., Berziuns, S., Hoyt, W. T., & Wampold, B. E. (2016). Creating a climate for therapist improvement: A case study of an agency based on outcomes and deliberate practice. Psychotherapy, 53, 367-375.
- Goldberg, S. B., Hoyt, W. T., Nissen-Lie, H. A., Wampold, B. E., & L., S. (In Press). Unpacking the therapist effect: Impact of treatment length differs for high- and low-performing therapists. Psychotherapy Research
- Nissen-Lie, H., Goldberg, S. B., Hoyt, W. T., Falkenstrom, F., Holmqvist, R., Nielsen, S. L., & Wampold, B. E. (2016). Are therapists uniformly effective across patient outcome domains? A study on therapist effectiveness in two different treatment contex. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 63, 367-378. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Sun, S., Hoyt, W. T., & Zhao, J. (2016). Do received stereotypes about Asian clients apply to Chinese young adults? A survey of counselors in Chinese universities. Professional Psychology Research and Practice, 47, 38-45.
- Roberts, T. S., Horne, S. G., & Hoyt, W. T. (2015). Between a gay and a straight place: Bisexual individuals’ experiences with monosexism. Journal of Bisexuality, 15, 554-569.
- Hoyt, W. T., Wade, N. N. G., Kidwell, J. E. M., & Worthington, E. L. (2014, ). Forgiveness interventions for severe offenses: Meta-analytic evidence. presented at the Counseling Psychology Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Goldberg, S. B., Hoyt, W. T., & Lindemann, A. (2013, ). Testing the social microcosm hypothesis: A social relations analysis of group perceptions. presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Psychotherapy Research, Memphis, TN.