335 Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706
Dr. Goldberg is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Counseling Psychology and Affiliate Faculty at the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. He conducts research on psychotherapy, with a specific emphasis on the effects of and mechanisms underlying meditation- and mindfulness-based interventions. He is currently completing a 5-year, NIH-funded K23 award focused on the delivery of meditation training through mobile health technology. He has clinical experience working with military veterans and conducts research on veteran mental health. He has served on the editorial board for the Journal of Counseling Psychology, Psychotherapy, and Psychotherapy Research.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Health Services Research & Development, VA Puget Sound Health Care System – Seattle Division, University of Washington Department of Health Services, 2018
- Doctoral Internship Clinical Psychology, VA Puget Sound Health Care System - Seattle Division, 2017
- PhD Counseling Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2017
- BA Sociology, Tufts University, 2004
- Goldberg, S., Tanana, M., Imel, Z. E., Atkins, D. C., Hill, C. E., & Anderson, T. (In Press). Can a computer detect interpersonal skills? Using machine learning to scale up the Facilitative Interpersonal Skills task. Psychotherapy Research
- Goldberg, S., Hanley, A. W., Baldwin, S. A., Berstein, A., & Garland, E. L. (In Press). Does mindfulness practice promote psychological functioning or is it the other way around? A daily diary study. Psychotherapy
- Goldberg, S., Knoeppel, C., Davidson, R. J., & Flook, L. (2020). Does practice quality mediate the relationship between practice time and outcome in mindfulness-based stress reduction?. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 67(1), 115-122.
- Goldberg, S., Flemotomos, N., Martinez, V. R., Tanana, M., Kuo, P., Pace, B. T., & Atkins, D. C. (In Press). Machine learning and natural language processing in psychotherapy research: Alliance as example use case. Journal of Counseling Psychology
- Goldberg, S., Fortney, J. C., Chen, J. A., Young, B. A., Lehavot, K., & Simpson, T. L. (In Press). Military service and military health care coverage are associated with reduced racial disparities in time to mental health treatment initiation. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
- Hirshberg, M. J., Goldberg, S., Rosenkranz, M., & Davidson, R. J. (In Press). Prevalence of harm in mindfulness-based stress reduction. Psychological Medicine
- Goldberg, S., Riordan, K., Sun, S., & Davidson, R. J. (In Press). The empirical status of mindfulness-based interventions: A systematic review of 44 meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials. Perspectives on Psychological Science
- Simpson, T. L., Hawrilenko, M., Goldberg, S., Browne, K., Lehavot, K., & Borowitz, M. (In Press). Treatment receipt patterns among individuals with co-occurring PTSD and substance use disorders. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
- Wielgosz, J., Goldberg, S., Kral, T. R. A., Dunne, J. D., & Davidson, R. J. (2019). Mindfulness meditation and psychopathology. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 15(1), 1-32.
- Goldberg, S., Buck, B., Raphaely, S., & Fortney, J. C. (2018). Measuring psychiatric symptoms remotely: A systematic review of remote measurement-based care. Current Psychiatry Reports, 20(10)
- Riordan, K., Goldberg, S., & Davidson, R. J. (2020, May). What do we know about mindfulness-based interventions now? A systematic review of meta-analyses. Poster presented at the Mind & Life Institute Summer Research Institute, Garrison, NY.
- Goldberg, S., Flynn, A., Abbas, M., Schultz, M., Hiserodt, M., Thomas, K., & Wyman, M. F. (2019, August). Prevalence and predictors of treatment seeking among post-deployment National Guard service members: A longitudinal analysis. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Goldberg, S., Tanana, M., Imel, Z. E., Narayanan, S., & Atkins, D. C. (2018, September). Evaluating the quality of therapeutic alliance from session content. Symposium presented at the The Digital Exploration of Psychotherapy (DEPTH) Project, Park City, UT.
- Goldberg, S., Tucker, R. P., Greene, P. A., Davidson, R. J., Kearney, D. J., & Simpson, T. L. (2018, August). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for patients with current depression: A meta-analysis. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Thompson, M. N., Goldberg, S., & Nielsen, S. L. (2018, August). Patient-rated financial distress as an indicator of social class in naturalistic psychotherapy. Symposium presented at the Social class in psychotherapy research: Consideration for measurement, design, and analysis, San Francisco, CA.